A noteworthy step in the bitcoin network is almost here: a difficulty level of 20 billion.
While only a projected four percent increase, according to mining data service Bitcoin Wisdom, the change shows the every-climbing increase in mining power and reminds us that growth in the mining network shows few signs of slowing down.
In this week’s roundup, we’ll look at a new announcement from BitFury’s leadership, a financial audit from ROCKMINER and a one-of-a-kind hobby miner from a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
A look inside the Mine’ellium Falcon
While it might not make the Kessel Run in twelve parsecs, the aptly dubbed Mine’ellium Falcon, created by hobby miner and Star Wars enthusiast Stephen Molyneux, is certainly one of the most unique approaches to mining on this side of the galaxy.
Sporting a single Gridseed 5-chip dual miner, Molyneux uses it primarily for scrypt mining. At maximum output, the Falcon delivers between 250 KH/s and 500 KH/s in power during operation.
Molyneux told CoinDesk that the inspiration for the project came from seeing other homebrew computers built using Star Wars toys, saying:
“I’d seen various Millennium Falcon custom computers that have been put together and thought to turn my totally delapidated toy from when I was a kid (also have a mint boxed version at home). The toy was in pieces because when I was a kid I wanted to modify it because I’d exhausted all the play out of it. This was kind of finally managing to do that and tie it in with bitcoin.”
Looking ahead, Molyneux sees a future in Star Wars-themed hobby miner making. The projects grassroots fans have reportedly been calling for an adaption of fictional bounty hunter Boba Fetts’ famed starship, Slave I, and Molyneux said he is strongly considering the option.
BitFury grows its board of directors
On 5th August, bitcoin hardware maker and cloud hosting company BitFury announced that it has added two new members to its board of directors. Bil Tai and Varun Gupta will both serve, with Gupta also acting as chief legal and compliance officer.
The addition of Tai and Gupta brings a wealth of legal and technology expertise to BitFury’s senior leadership. Tai’s background includes time on a number of startup boards in the technology space, and Gupta served for decades in corporate law. Notably, Gupta’s experience includes work in mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and initial public offering (IPO) coordination.
- ^ Bitcoin Wisdom (bitcoinwisdom.com)
- ^ Kessel Run in twelve parsecs (www.wired.com)
- ^ official website (minellium-falcon.tumblr.com)
- ^ BitFury (www.coindesk.com)
- ^ $20 million in new funding (www.coindesk.com)
- ^ Binary Financial (binaryfin.com)
- ^ Crypto Currency Partners (cryptocurrencypartners.com)
- ^ cloud hosting service (www.coindesk.com)
- ^ BitFury Capital (www.coindesk.com)
- ^ report (docs.google.com)
- ^ Bitcoin Talk (bitcointalk.org)
- ^ BitCrane (www.bitcrane.com)
- ^ Bitell (www.bitell.com)
- ^ Shutterstock (www.shutterstock.com)
- ^ Contact us (www.coindesk.com)
- ^ BitCrane (www.coindesk.com)
- ^ Bitfury (www.coindesk.com)
- ^ Mining Roundup (www.coindesk.com)
- ^ RockMiner (www.coindesk.com)