However, Voisine said that users of ‘jailbroken’ iOS should not install Breadwallet, or any kind of bitcoin wallet.
“You’re going to get robbed because you think you know more than you actually do. Any jailbreak app has total control of your phone and your wallet. I understand the temptation to use it with a little bit of money, but you will get lazy because it will be convenient to use right up until it isn’t.”
He added that he wanted to make a wallet with a “beautiful, convenient user experience that is also as secure as possible for people who have zero understanding of computer security.”
Bitcoin matures on iOS
Bitcoin users with iOS devices have seen a dramatic improvement in wallet options in just the past few months. No sooner had Apple quietly ceased its policy against bitcoin wallet and payment apps in June, than the first examples began to appear.
There are now over 10 wallet and payment options available on iOS, includng Blockchain, Gliph, Hive, Coin Pocket, Bity and GreenAddress.
He said he was convinced Apple would change its policy on bitcoin apps eventually, and set to work months before the decision was made in order to be ready to submit on the first day Apple allowed it.
The long head start turned out to be prudent – the biggest challenge Voisine faced was building the app’s SPV mode bitcoin network client portion. No-one had written this for iOS previously, and it took him six months to complete, he said:
“All the Android wallets that are SPV use Mike Hearn’s bitcoinj, which took over a year to write.”
Images via Breadwallet
- ^ Breadwallet (app.breadwallet.com)
- ^ bitcoin.org (bitcoin.org)
- ^ favorable comments (www.reddit.com)
- ^ here (breadwallet.com)
- ^ BIP32 (bitcointalk.org)
- ^ Hive wallet (www.coindesk.com)
- ^ bitcoinj (www.coindesk.com)
- ^ BIP39 (bitcointalk.org)
- ^ quietly ceased its policy (www.coindesk.com)
- ^ Yammer (www.yammer.com)
- ^ Lightt Inc (lightt.com)
- ^ iOS App Store (itunes.apple.com)
- ^ Apple (www.coindesk.com)
- ^ Breadwallet (www.coindesk.com)
- ^ iOS (www.coindesk.com)