A member of parliament for the Scottish National Party (SNP) has urged his party to consider experimenting with a national digital currency.
Speaking at the SNP conference held in Aberdeen – in northeastern Scotland – George Kerevan said he wanted the country to trial the ScotPound, a native digital currency that would co-exist alongside the pound sterling.
The digital currency, Kerevan told BuzzFeed News, would be an important ready-made alternative to the pound when the next independence debate surfaced, and one that could “bubble up” through the party.
- ^ Kerevan told (www.buzzfeed.com)
- ^ BuzzFeed News (www.buzzfeed.com)
- ^ publication of a report (www.neweconomics.org)
- ^ As previously reported (www.coindesk.com)
- ^ national referendum (www.bbc.co.uk)
- ^ recorded a historic landslide (www.bbc.co.uk)
- ^ Politics (www.coindesk.com)
- ^ Scotland (www.coindesk.com)